One of the beautiful things about education is learning from one year and starting fresh with another. Education lends itself to collaborating and sharing with others…..what better way to find experts and information than CLASSROOM TWEETING. Students learn to express their thoughts and/or learning in 140 characters or less. As the teacher, you are able to gauge their learning on a daily basis. The longer they tweet… the more followers that follow and the more creative they will be with their mentions [@ mentions] and hashtags [#]. Daily “Tweet Outs” make students think about a meaningful statement that their GLOBAL audience will read, learn, and/or comment.
- Create one classroom account (easy monitoring).
- Create an avatar that best describes your classroom (you can change your avatar and password from year to year with your class).
- Create hashtags for different content/subject areas…you want to be organized and have an archived list for students to go back to as needed.
- Check your hashtags at http://hashtags.org/flatclassroom or by searching within Twitter. You want to make sure it is not being used.
- Model good tweets in front of the class.
- Make time to read other tweets.
- Follow people you can collaborate with and LEARN from…ex. NASA
- Monitor your account
- Tweeting can be a great communication resource for parents….ask them to follow. YOU do not have to FOLLOW them.
- EMBRACE IT….it is their world!
****Download TWEETDECK and TWITCASTING LIVE!