MakerSpaces

A MAKERSPACE (hackerspace, fablab, DIY space, Maker Studio, MakerSquare) is a physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, create, invent, learn, network, and build. Makerspaces provide tools and space in a community environment.  A facilitator may be available some of the time, but often the time is used for tynkering and creating.   The Makerspace is often associated with fields (STEAM, STEM) such as engineering, computer science, and graphic design.

Makerspaces in an education setting also provide a place and materials for creativity to be expressed. Tools may consist of (but not limited to): 3D printers, computers, robots, building materials, art supplies, software for gaming, tools (hammer, screw-driver etc.), books, and other various tools depending on the space (library, studio, building, warehouse).  These spaces can easily be cross-disciplinary allowing students in many fields to use them.  Makerspaces, in schools, allow students to take control of their own learning as they take ownership of projects they have not just designed but defined. Makerspaces in education are a great spaces for inquiry-based learning, project/problem -based learning, challenge-based learning, make it challenges, and hands-on collaboration. Click on OUR MAKER STUDIO to learn more about our physical space in a K-4 setting.

Makerspace Playbook PDF – provided by MAKE.

This entry was posted in Learning Environments by teacherstone. Bookmark the permalink.

About teacherstone

I am an assistant principal of a K-4 elementary school. I have taught grades 2nd-5th and served as an instructioanl technology coach for the district for six years. I am a NBCT, STAR teacher, and DEN teacher. I am also a technology adjunct professor at UAB Birmingham. I am currenlty working on my PhD in Educational Leadership and Instructional Technology Curriculum.